Traditionally, the first line of a song either sets the where and when of the storyline ("On a dark desert highway", "Cold late night, so long ago, when I was not so strong, you know") or introduces a character ("Her name was Lola"). However, the best songs grab us instantly by triggering our most powerful emotions from the very first line. Here is when you say "OK, I'm listening...". These are my top 20 best song first lines.
1. I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
2. Please, allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
3. I really don't mind if you sit this one out
4. I am an Antichrist
5. The world is a vampire
6. On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
7. When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all
8. You know the day destroys the night, night divides the day
9. This bed is on fire with passionate love, the neighbors complain about the noises above, but she only comes when she's on top.
10. In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream, at night we ride through mountains of glory in suicide machines.
11. A candy-colored clown they call the sandman tiptoes to my room every night just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper "Go to sleep, everything is alright"
12. On a morning from a Bogart movie, in a a country where they turned back time, you go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime.
13. So ya thought you'd like to come to the show to feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow.
14. I was dreaming when I wrote this, so forget me if it goes astray
15. Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waiting for a train and I was feeling nearly as faded as my jeans
16. You'll take my life, but I'll take yours too; you'll fire your musket, but I'll run you through.
17. Jeremiah was a bullfrog; he was a good friend of mine, never understood a word he said but I helped him drink his wine.
18. Close the city and tell the people that something's coming to call; Death and darkness are rushing forward to take a bite from the wall, oh
19. You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you; I picked you out, I shook you up and turned you around into someone new.
20. Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road; time grabs you by the wrist and directs you where to go.