Friday, August 14, 2009

Top 20 Songs about Mothers

In Costa Rica, Mother's day is on Aug. 15th. I think we may be one of the very few countries around the world that celebrate Mother's day in August instead of May. Whatever the case may be, I wanted to take this opportunity to explore mothers from different angles - good and bad. These are my top 20 songs about mums.


10000 Maniacs – Eat for Two

O, Baby blankets and baby shoes, baby slippers, baby spoons, walls of baby blue / Dream child in my head is a nightmare born in a borrowed bed / Now I know lightning strikes again / It struck me once, then struck me dead / My folly grows inside of me / I eat for two, walk for two, breathe for two now.




Celine Dion – The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face

The first time ever I lay with you / and felt your heart beat close to mine / I thought our joy would fill the earth / and last 'till the end of time, my love / and last 'till the end of time




Live – Lightning Crashes

Lightning crashes, a new mother cries / this moment she's been waiting for /the angel opens her eyes / pale blue colored iris / presents the circle / and puts the glory out to hide, hide




John Lennon – Mother

Mother, you had me but I never had you / I wanted you but you didn't want me / So I got to tell you / Goodbye, goodbye.




Pink Floyd – Mother

Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry / Momma's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you Momma won't let anyone dirty get through / Momma's gonna wait up until you get in Momma will always find out where you've been / Momma's gonna keep Baby healthy and clean Oooo babe / Oooo babe / Ooo babe, you'll always be baby to me




Tracy Bonham – Mother Mother

Mother, mother / Can you hear me? / Yeah, I'm sober, sure, I'm sane / Life is perfect / Never better / Still your daughter / still the same



The Beatles – Lady Madonna

Lady Madonna, children at your feet / Wonder how you manage to make ends meet / Who finds the money? / When you pay the rent? / Did you think that money was heaven sent?




Merle Haggard – Mama Tried

And I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole / No-one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried / Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied / That leaves only me to blame 'cos Mama tried.




Paul Simon – Mother & Child Reunion

No I would not give you false hope / On this strange and mournful day / But the mother and child reunion / Is only a motion away, oh, little darling of mine.




Queen Lattifah – When You’re Good to Mama

Got a little motto / Always sees me through / When you're good to Mama / Mama's good to you. / There's a lot of favors I'm prepared to do / You do one for Mama, she'll do one for you.




Jeannie C. Riley – Harper Valley PTA

Now Mr. Harper couldn’t be here cause he’s stayed too long in Kelly’s Bar again / And if you smell Shirley Thompson’s breath you’ll find she’s had a little nip of gin / And then you have the nerve to tell me as a mother you think that I ain’t fit / Well this is just a little Payton Place and you’re all Harper Valley hypocrites / Now I wouldn’t put you on because it really did / It happened just this way / That day my mama socked it to the Harper Valley PTA



Rolling Stones – Mother's Little Helper

Things are different today, I hear evry mother say / Cooking fresh food for a husbands just a drag / So she buys an instant cake and she burns her frozen steak / And goes running for the shelter of a mother’s little helper / And two help her on her way, get her through her busy day




Enimen – Cleaning Out my Closet

I'm sorry mama, I never meant to hurt you, I never meant to make you cry, but tonight I'm cleanin' out my closet,




Kate Bush - Mother Stands for Comfort

She knows that I’ve been doing something wrong / but she won’t say anything / She thinks that I was with my friends yesterday / but she won’t mind me lying / because Mother stands for comfort / Mother will hide the murderer.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOCI446c2JE

2 Pac – Dear Mama

Pour out some liquor and I reminisce / Cause through the drama / I can always depend on my mama / And when it seems that I’m hopeless / You say the words that can get me back in focus / When I was sick as a little kid / To keep me happy there’s no limit to the things you did / And all my childhood memories / Are full of all the sweet things you did for me / And even though I act crazy / I got to thank the Lord that you made me / There are no words that can express how I feel / You never kept a secret, always stayed real / And I appreciate how you raised me / And all the extra love that you gave me / And there’s no way I can pay you back / But my plan is to show yo that I understand / You are appreciated.......




Spice Girls – Mama

Back then I didn’t know why / Why you were misunderstood / So now I see through your eyes / All that you did was love / Mama I love you, mama I care / Mama I love you, mama my friend / My friend



Liz Phair – Little Digger (My Mother is Mine)

Dig little digger, don't be shy / You saw your mother with another guy / You think you'll tell her that she's one of a kind, you say / My Mother is mine




Boys II Men - A Song for Mama

You taught me everything / And everything you’ve given me / I always keep it inside / You’re the driving force in my life, yeah / There isn’t anything / Or anyone I can be / And it just wouldn’t feel right / If I didn’t have you by my side




Diana Ross – A Mother’s Love

A mother’s love is forever / A mother’s love is for free / It doesn’t matter if you’re good or bad / She’s there for whatever you need





Hank Williams Sr. – Message to my Mother

Take this message to my mother / It will fill her heart with joy / Tell her that I've met my Savior / God has saved her wand'ring boy / The tears and sorrow I have caused her / How I wish I could repay / But tell her I'll be waiting for her / We'll meet in Heaven some glad day.


No comments:

Post a Comment